Gaudí in Barcelona and Catalonia
Born in 1852 in Reus (Camp de Tarragona) and son of a copper maker from Riudoms.
From childhood Gaudí was an attentive observer of nature and felt attracted to its forms, colors and geometry.
In 1868, he decided to study architecture in Barcelona, in a college dominated by neo-classical and romantic trends. Thus, his first architectural production swung between a reinterpretation of historical canons with oriental influence and the recovery of medieval events.
Despite his youth he received the first assignments from the ecclesiastic world and the bourgeoisie, who would always be his main clients. Among these, the Association of Devotees of Saint Joseph stands out as they commissioned him with the Expiatory Temple of the Sagrada Família (the cathedral of the modern Barcelona).
Of equal importance was the industrialist Eusebi Güell, the best client and essential patron, who entrusted him with the construction of a palace, the church for an industrial colony, some pavilions for his summer residence and a city-garden.
After his death in 1926, he and his work entered a period of ostracism until the avant-gardism trends and the international movement recuperated his figure while presenting him as an example of modernization and renewal of 20th century architecture.
Gaudí's Work in Barcelona and Surroundings
COOPERATIVA LA OBRERA MATARONENSE (1883)
Gaudí elaborated several projects and large industrial premises destined to be a Hall of Bleaching for the first workers' co-operative in Spain, located in Mataró.
Address : Antoni Gaudí Square
Carrer de la Cooperativa
08302, Mataró, (Barcelona Area) Spain
CASA VICENS (1883-1888)
The first important Gaudí assignment was the design of a summer villa on the outskirts of Barcelona, currently in the north of the city. The project, commissioned by the tile manufacturer Manuel Vicens, included a house and a large garden.
Address : Carrer de les Carolines, 18
08012 Barcelona, Spain
The house is in sale now visits are not allowed.
EXPIATORY TEMPLE OF THE SAGRADA FAMILIA (1883-1926)
The most visited building in Barcelona which, undoubtedly, identifies the city around the world is this magnificent work by Gaudí. In 1883, the architect agreed to continue a project of neo-Gothic features already started but redesigned it completely, envisaging it as monumental and with exuberant decoration and he worked on it until his death in 1926. All the elements of the temple, both architectural and ornamental, reveal a symbolic basis from the Christian tradition.
Address: Plaça de la Sagrada Familia, s/n. Barcelona
Normal entrance: 13€ (with guide 17€)
Minors, students and retired: 11€ (with guide 15€)
Opening Hours: Everyday from 9am to 6pm in winter and to 7.15pm the rest of the year.
Telephone : +34 932073031
GÜELL ESTATE PAVILIONS (1884-1887)
In the Barcelona of the end of the 19th century, wealthy people moved around in horse carriages, therefore they needed stables, horse rings and space to park them. This is the reason why one of the most outstanding men of the city, the industrialist Eusebi Güell, commissioned Gaudí with the construction of a building to house these facilities in the access area to his estate, located in the north of Barcelona.
Gaudí's project materialized in two pavilions with strong Muslim features in the façades, an aspect usually found in his early works. Both buildings are united by a spectacular wrought iron gate representing the mythical figure of the dragon, symbol of the protection of the estate.
Opening Hours : Friday to Monday from 10 to 14 h. Only for guided visits
Timetables, prices and other information may change; it is recommend to check beforehand.
Address : Avinguda de Pedralbes, 7
08034, Barcelona, Spain
Telephone: +34 93 177 652 / to appoint guided visits +34 93 562 504.
PALAU GÜELL (1886 - 1889)
At the end of the 19th century, Gaudí designed the most spectacular and luxurious building in Barcelona. This place, commissioned by the bourgeois Eusebi Güell, was built with stone, coated with delicate marble and decorated with high quality wood. Its inauguration coincided with the holding in Barcelona of the 1888 World Fair Exhibition and housed diverse social and official functions.
Opening Hours : Close on the afternoon, Monday, Sunday and holiday
Address : Carrer Nou de la Rambla, 3-5
08001 Barcelona, Spain
Telephone : +34 93 317 39 74
Website : www.palauguell.cat
SAINT TERESA OF AVILA SCHOOL (1888-1889)
This detached building seems from the outside an impregnable fortress. Inside, however, it is completely the contrary: diaphanous, very bright, a regular distribution and wide rooms, which allow the housing of a school, a boarding school and a convent for nuns. The whole reflects the austerity of the order of Saint Teresa of Avila and the functional sense characteristic of Gaudí, the symbiosis between form and function proved to be so practical that the building is still used as a school centre.
Opening Hours: Because the building is used for the same initial functions as school, the visit of interior is restricted, except limited visits Saturdays and Sundays.
Timings, prices and other information can vary, please verify it previously.
Address : Carrer de Ganduxer, 85
08022 Barcelona, Spain
Telephone: +34 93 212 33 54
CASA CALVET (1898-1899)
When the Calvet, a family of industrialists, decided to have a new dwelling built in Barcelona,. Gaudí constructed the building in Casp Street, following the typology characteristic of the houses of the period, with spaces for the family business and for the residence of the owners and with flats to rent. The owners were pleased with the result and Barcelona Town Council was so enthusiastic that designated Calvet House as the best building in 1900.
Address: Carrer de Casp, 48
08010 Barcelona, Spain
Visits are not allowed
BELLESGUARD TOWER (1900-1909)
The house Bellesguard also known as Casa Figueras is located in the high area of Barcelona, near Collserola mountain, at the same place where it was the old castle built by the last king of Catalan dynasty, Marti l'Humà. That fact was for Gaudí a base of inspiration, and he used some elements of that old castle to built the new Bellesguard (as walls, courtyard, etc.).
The house is closed, private visits are not allowed except for exteriors.
Address: Carrer de Bellesguard, 16-20
08022 Barcelona, Spain
PARC GÜELL (1900-1914)
Despite the wild appearance of the park, everything in it was planned: the accesses, the market, the main square, the drainage, the reservoirs, the roads and paths, the staircases, the fences...
Opening Hours: Everyday from 10:00 am to 6:00pm in Winter and 9:00 pm in summer
Address: Carrer d'Olot s/n
08024 Barcelona, Spain
Price: Free Entrance
GATE OF MIRALLES ESTATE (1901-1902)
GAudí did the enclosing wall and access door to Hermenegild Miralles estate, a good friend of him, located to the north of Barcelona.
Opening Hours : Fence in a public space
Address: Passeig de Manuel Girona, 55-61
08034 Barcelona, Spain
CASA BATLLO (1904-1906)
Gaudí's genius transformed a terraced house, characteristic of the district of the Eixample of the 19th century, into one of the most outstanding buildings in Barcelona's architecture: the Batlló House.
Opening Hours : From Monday to Sunday, from 9h-21h. Visitors can no longer enter half an hour before closing time.
In case of special event, the museum will close at 14h
Address : Passeig de Gràcia, 43
08007 Barcelona, spain
Telephone: +34 934 880 666
Groups 20+: 15,45€
Students / retired: 14,55€
Residents in Catalonia: 14,55€
Children under 7: Free
CASA MILÀ, LA PEDRERA (1906-1912)
Mr. Pere Milà, who married a rich widow, wanted to live in a spectacular house in the most cosmopolitan avenue of the Barcelona of the time: the passeig de Gràcia. Thus, the architect built two blocks of flats with independent accesses but unified by the same façade, made of stone and with undulating patterns, with large windows allowing good interior lighting.
Opening Hours: From Monday to Sunday, from 9h-20h.
Visitors can no longer enter half an hour before closing time.
Address: Passeig de Gràcia, 92
08008 Barcelona, Spain
Telephone: + 34 902 400 973
Price: Adult: 14€
Students / retired: 10€
SCHOOLS OF THE SAGRADA FAMILIA (1908-1909)
The architect designed this building as a provisional school, annex to the temple of the Sagrada Família, it is characterised by the undulation of the façades and the roof which Gaudí achieved by applying variables of ruled geometry.
Opening Hours : Everyday from 9 am to 6 pm in winter and to 7.15pm the rest of the year
Address: Placa de la Sagrada Familia, s/n
Price : 8€
Telephone : +34 932073031
CHURCH OF SANT PACIA (1879)
This work was done in the church of the School of Jesús-Maria, dedicated to Saint Pacià, still conserves the floor mosaic that covers the whole surface and forms quite an elaborate geometric drawing.
Address : Calle del Vallès, 40 08030 Barcelona, Spain
Telephone: +34 93 346 65 54.
Gaudi in la Costa Brava:
CATLLARAS CHALET (1905)
On the top of a hill, surrounded by pine trees and with magnificent views over the mountains of Catllaràs, Gaudí built the residence of the professionals of the nearby mines of Catllaràs, from which coal was extracted destined for the factory owned by Eusebi Güell. In time, the use of the building changed. It is currently open all year round to hikers and may sleep up to 48 people.
Opening Hours: The building is at present a holiday camp and it is totally adapted to that function.
Address: Catllaràs Massif
08696, Comments: follow the 12 km forest track from La Pobla de Lillet to the Santuari de Falgars and continue to the Chalet.
Telephone: +34 93 823 61 46
GÜELL CELLARS (1895-1901)
The industrialist Eusebi Güell, was also a wine producer. He owned a large stretch of land with wine cultivation, which was elaborated and produced there. For the production of wine and its conservation, Gaudí developed some cellars built with the stone of the area so that they would be in harmony with the environment. In time, the building fell in disuse and is nowadays a restoration establishment.
Opening Hours: The cellar is today a part of a restaurant and consequently it is possible to visit both exterior and interior of building.
Restaurant opening times: Thursday to Saturday from 1.30 p.m. to 4.00 p.m. and from 8.30 p.m. to 11.00 p.m. Sunday from 1.30 p.m. to 4.00 p.m.
Address: Gaudi Garraf, Road from Barcelona to Sitges,(16 km from Barcelona),Sitges
Telephone: 93 632 01 80
JARDINS DE CAN ARTIGAS (1905-1906)
When Gaudí was building the Catllaràs Chalet, he was invited by the industrialist Joan Artigas to project a garden in a land owned by him. Its tracks remind us of those of the Güell Park, which the architect had started to build five years before. The cylindrical summer-house, the artificial grotto, the banisters of the paths, the flower beds, a bridge and the large amount of water are to be outlined.
Opening Hours: Gardens open to the public
Address: Park Xesco Boix
08696, La Pobla de Lillet, Spain